Thursday 26 July 2012

Product Review: Votivo Candle in Deep Clover


I was given this Votivo candle in Deep Clover in the travel version as a present. I'd never bought a Votivo candle before (or heard of the brand) and I have a dangerous relationship with beautiful scented candles. I harbour an unhealthy love for them, but can't buy them very often because they are so overpriced (*cough cough Diptyque*).


The travel candle cost £12 for 81gm and apparently burns for 20-25 hours, which isn't bad (although I think they're a tenner at Harvey Nick's). The full-size candles cost £28 for 193gm and apparently burn for 50-60 hours.

I like the packaging a lot- it's simple and no fuss, but the colour schemes are great. I love the simple two-tone label and think the Deep Clover label is particularly pretty.

Reading the description, this isn't a scent I'd have picked for myself. I gravitate towards floral scents most of the time, and was very surprised by how much I loved this. It genuinely smells enormously like clover to me. It's described as having 'dewy green, aldehydic notes', with 'fescue grass, red clover, stemy greens middle notes' and a 'fir needle, patchouli and cedarwood base'.

The green aldehydic notes are very strong, and the green really lingers. I love the woody base as well, as it seems extraordinarily natural here. This is a very evocative little fragrance- for me it was really as if I'd suddenly been transported to a field of clover. Near a wood.

I've been burning this quite a lot so don't know how much longer it'll last (and I haven't been timing it). The smell lingers a fair amount which I really like because I love the fragrance.

All in all, I'm a convert to Votivo candles and will definitely be buying some more when I've used up the four I currently have on the go. I'd love to try Champaca, Honeysuckle, Pondicherry Sandalwood, Tuberosa, Rush of Rose, Seablue Sky, Rain- I could go on and on but I should draw the line somewhere. I told you I had an unhealthy love for them! I'm also intrigued by the combinations in Mosaic and Lavender Chamomile Pear.

I'd like to try a few more of these, but I was so impressed by Deep Clover and how unusual and somehow magical it is, that I'd probably order them without sniffing. I'm happy as a pig in clover*.

*I apologise. But I'd do it again ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment