Tuesday 24 July 2012

Nautical Style

While I'm loving beachiness in terms of make up and bath products, my own fashion style is slightly more seaside. I've always been a sucker for nautical stripes and the combination of navy and white, and there's something irresistible about it- it's simultaneously whimsical and preppy. Clean lines and generally red, white and blue, and yet there's something gloriously old-fashioned about anchors and sailboats. There's a history to it is what I'm saying, and as I sadly don't live anywhere near the seaside, this is the closest I'll get to it for the moment.


The nautical trend in beauty has been pretty hot this year, kicked off by MAC's Hello, Sailor limited edition range. Just beautiful, but sadly I think it's almost entirely sold out now (although try your nearest MAC counter and you might get lucky). This picture summarises everything I love about the look- the glamour, the sex appeal, the cleanness of the colours, and just how evocative it is. I'm not sure I look anywhere near as gorgeous (or well made up) as the model, but I think I make it work ;)

Now, how to get the look? Easy, actually. It's about as straightforward as a trend can be- red lips and nails to give it that gorgeous 40s vibe, and navy and white with red accents. MAC and Nars have an amazing range of red lipsticks, and red nails are everywhere this summer. Try some whimsical jewellery, like this necklace from Eclectic Eccentricity, which has a wide range of nautical-themed jewellery when you get browsing. I love this nautical tote bag, which cleverly incorporates a rope handle.

1. Nars Semi Matte Lipstick in Red Lizard 2. Joy the Store Striped Beach Bag 3. Paul's Boutique Stripe Lizzie Purse 4. Trollied Dolly Nautical Prom Dress 5. Essie Nail Polish in Lacquered Up 6. Topshop Pleated Sheer Dress 7. Vans Nautical Stripe Espadrilles 8. Eclectic Eccentricity A Drop in the Ocean Seahorse Necklace 9. Illustrated People Anchor Raglan Sweater 10. Paul's Boutique Anchor Sasha Satchel

This Trollied Dolly dress has to be one of the cutest (and best tailored) interpretations I've seen on the high street, and would be just gorgeous with some plain espadrilles or even flipflops if you're dressing down! When the weather starts to cool down again (so...next week?) I'd wear a jumper like this adorable Illustrated People one with very dark wash skinny jeans and these striped Vans...or more likely wellies.

I generally go with nautical in a very classical way, but love when people interpret it more creatively. I'm trying to build up to wearing hats- like this fantastic straw boater. So cute!

How do you dress nautically?




Hello, Sailor Image from MAC Cosmetics

No comments:

Post a Comment