Thursday 26 July 2012

Product Review: The Body Shop Eye Definer in French Navy


Time for the first product review! I'm sorry for the terrible picture quality in this one - my camera is currently on the fritz. Hopefully I can sort this out soon!

I'm reviewing the Body Shop eye definer, which is just their regular eyeliner, in the colour French Navy. I wouldn't usually have thought to try an eyeliner in this colour, but it's surprisingly flattering. I've got light brown/olive skin, and I think this is a colour that would actually suit most skin tones.

This is the image from the Body Shop website and it seems fairly true to the pencil, although it pulls slightly differently on me. It's more of a true navy on my hand and eyes, instead of the sort of grey/silver toned blue in the image.


I like this colour a lot more than I thought I would, but I'm not sure about the formula. The quality is quite hard and waxy and I haven't kept it refrigerated. It doesn't smudge a lot, and the lasting power isn't incredible- I tend to rub my eyes a lot and this needs touch ups. It was very easy to remove from my skin after I was done swatching it as well.

The other thing is that it moves a fair amount; after a few hours it sinks into the lines under my eyes, making them look like crevasses and gorges. Not very flattering. This is both when it's 28 degrees, like today, or 10 or lower in the winter. Refrigerating it might help I suppose.

All in all- a thumbs up for the colour, which is flattering, goes with everything, and is actually a really nice alternative to black if you don't like brown. This isn't an electric blue; it's dark and classic. I usually struggle to find an alternative for black as brown eyeliner looks terrible on me (makes my eyes look red-ringed) and grey (makes me look quite ill), but this dark blue is definitely very pretty and sophisticated looking.

I'm not a fan of the formula, but I am usually very very fussy about pencil eyeliners and find most of them migrate a fair amount during the day. This is better than others I've tried, so I'll hold on to it until I find a dark blue with better staying power.

This retails for £8 and also comes in black, brown, white and gold. I got mine for free, and when it runs out I'll be experimenting with something else because that strikes me as a lot for an eyeliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment