Tuesday 24 July 2012

Beachy Beauty

Amazingly, it's actually starting to feel like summer now that the sun is out. The weather is absolutely gorgeous, and as a result, I'm loving beachy beauty and scents like coconut and frangipani. Think Hawaii and Polynesia.

The three things that sum up beach beauty for me are wavy tousled hair, gorgeous colour in the cheeks, and waterproof mascara. I've never understood the magazines that do elaborate beach beauty editorials that involve layers and layers of slap. It's not pretty or flattering, and I can't imagine getting a face full of slap covered in sweat and salty seawater is good for anyone's skin. I'm a fan of extending this carefree attitude to recreating the beach look at home as well. Wear a bit of waterproof mascara if you really can't go barefaced; try a gorgeous bronzer like Nars The Multiple Bronzer in Malaysia or my own personal favourite, Benefit Dallas; and spray some Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray in your hair (if you can't afford the cult product, try the slightly cheaper Lush Sea Spray). I like spraying my hair and then braiding it for an hour or two to make lovely beachy waves. Make sure you go for a loose braid to get that surfer look!

If you want to make the look a bit more complicated, the only thing I'd suggest adding is some sheer lip tint in a natural rather than bright colour- believe me, I love a bright lip as much as the next girl, but this look is all about barefaced beauty. Clinique Black Honey is one of my all time favourite lipsticks- sheer, buildable colour in a universally flattering russet, it is honestly just beautiful. It's alarmingly dark in the tube but translates wonderfully. You can also layer some blusher with your bronzer- I like a dusty rose and this No 7 one is a real beauty.

If you want to go the whole hog, try the Nars Multipurpose Beauty Oil for a wonderful tint and lovely glowing, moisturised skin.

Ultimately wear the products that make you feel comfortable, but remember the most attractive thing about a surfer girl is her laid back attitude. Don't hide behind loads of make up- let your own natural beauty shine through! I'm embracing the chilled out beach holiday mindset and relaxing, and suddenly, things aren't getting to me anywhere near as much.

1. Benefit Dallas bronzer 2. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray 3. Lush Sea Spray 4. No. 7 Blush Tint Cream Blush 5. Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey 7. Nars Body Glow Multipurpose Beauty Oil 8. Nars The Multiple Bronzer in Malaysia 9. Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara


And lastly, always always wear sunscreen and take care of your skin. Read the fabulous Sali Hughes' recommendations for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment