Thursday 26 July 2012

Product Review: Dr Nick Lowe Oil Control Day Cream


About two years ago I went through a really terrible skin phase. I had problematic skin throughout my teenage years, and as I entered my twenties it started to get worse. I honestly tried an enormous range of products in desperation. I finally decided to do two things- start using quality products, i.e. investing in my skin, and to stop using harsh drying acne products as they made my skin feel terribly dry and didn't seem to affect my spottiness for the better.

By the time I started my PhD I was approaching skincare like a researcher- I think most of us do this anyway, but I started being very analytical and taking careful mental notes about what helped and what didn't, and what my chief skincare concerns were and how to tackle them. The main thing I realised from paying attention was that using these harsh drying products seemed to be making my skin worse. I did a bit of reading and learnt that that wasn't uncommon, and for a lot of people stripping their skin of natural oils meant that their sebaceous glands started producing more sebum to compensate and protect the skin, which just meant more oiliness and more spots. I had had a consultation at a Clinique counter, and had bought the Clarifying Lotion in 3 (for Oily Skin) and it was so strong it made my eyes water. It was no help and I ultimately gave up on it because the stinging tight dryness was unbearable and I STILL had regular breakouts. I tried Neutrogena's Visibly Clear Oil-Free Moisturiser, but it barely moisturised.

I WANTED to love Clinique and Neutrogena and everyone seemed to tout them as the companies that made the best products for spotty skin, but ultimately they didn't get me anywhere. Anyway, I decided that I needed a gentler cleanser, and a moisturiser that wasn't a lightweight lotion packed full of salicylic acid. And that was how I found Dr Nick Lowe's range in Boots.

I bought this without trying as they didn't have any testers, which I thought was daft as the brand is quite pricey for one that's not top range. I did get it in a Boots Skincare 3 for 2, and once I realised it was a good match for my skin I bought it in threes when the offer was on. It costs £15.31 for a 50ml pot and if you buy it under the 3 for 2 offer it comes to about £10.20 a jar.

It's got quite a lot of packaging, and half of its height appears to be lid which is a bit unnecessary. However, I really liked the product itself. I'm not saying it was a miracle worker, because it in no way stopped all breakouts, but it was soothing and moisturising. It has some salicylic acid in it, which helped clarify my skin, but in general it felt wonderful on my skin. It's the richest moisturiser I've ever seen aimed at oily skin, and it really worked for me. It helped control the oil, it didn't sit on the skin, it made my skin brighter, and I do feel like it helped with breakouts. I reiterate that it didn't stop them all- I've not found a single topical product that can do that- but it made my skin less constantly aggravated. While the other products were hugely drying and seemed to make my skin worse, I definitely had less breakouts with this than with others.

I've only tried one or two other Nick Lowe products, but they seem remarkably unsung for some that are really quite nice. I would recommend this for people who struggle with oily skin and acne, and suggest that they start using products that are more gentle on their skin instead of trying to beat it into submission like I did for years! Love your skin :)


No comments:

Post a Comment