Wednesday 25 July 2012

Neons and Nudes

Another fabulous trend that inspired me in the form of a beauty campaign is Neons and Nudes. Bobbi Brown did an absolutely gorgeous limited edition range and the combination of very bright colours with nude, toned down shades is just wonderful. I'm feeling the neons lately, like the Desk Brights post from last week, and I think it's time to incorporate some into my wardrobe.

1. Accessorize Shiny Clean Skull Studs 2. Asos Snake Bar Purse 3. Essie Nail Polish in Bachelorette Bash 4. Zara Sandal with Combined Straps 5. New Look Orange Slub Vest Maxi Dress 6. Accessorize Crystal Teardrop Short Earrings 7. Asos Weave Metal Bar Clutch 8. Chanel Le Vernis in Particuliere 9. Dune Jaypore (not sure why they've so obviously misspelled Jaipur but it looks ridiculous) Sandals

I've tried to create outfits here that show how you could go head-to-toe neons and brights, or accessorize one very bright piece with nude and tan shades. This bright orange dress is perfect for summer and can be cinched in at the waist so it's comfortable and flattering. Orange always looks beautiful to me with gold accents, so I tried to incorporate as many of those as possible. I thought playing with pink and orange would be great- it's an absolutely gorgeous combination, and a lot easier to pull off than you'd think! Bright sandals and nail polish, and a lighter clutch make this one bright look for a brave lady. The gold accents tie it all together- wear it with confidence!

On the other side are the nude accents. The envelope clutch and Indian-style braided sandals are beautiful, and once more the gold accents are the key to pulling all the elements of the look together. This Chanel shade is lovely and very sophisticated, and this styling is a gentler way to incorporate the trend into your wardrobe.


1. Accessorize Neon Twisted Hoops 2. Accessorize Suede Tassel Zip Top Clutch 3. Essie Nail Polish in Mesmerized 4. Topshop Toastie Yello Mesh Trainers 5. Topshop Embroidered Organza Dress 6. Wolf and Badger Tiny Star Earrings 7. Mango Chain Quilted Shoulder Bag 8. Essie Nail Polish in Fiji 9. Dune Joy Four Bow Flat Sandal

I went with something a little wilder for the second dress- this piece is very cool, with its classic ladylike shape and embroidery, but all in neon chartreuse. Instead of going with fash-clash brights, I went with sort of matching accessories with the shoes and make up, and sudden pops of blue and turquoise. I think the electric blue with this dress is just to die for- if this styling is too much I would say try a simpler approach and add a flick of electric blue eyeliner to finish it off.

The nude pieces are much more ladylike, and I love how the quilted bag and the bow flats look together. It's all very darling, but with the sass from that dress taking it to another level.

How would you interpret the look? Simple or over the top? Add some colour gently or just dive in at the deep end?

As for myself, I fell in love with these fuchsia stovepipe khakis from the Gap, and will be styling them very similar to how they're shown here. I like how they look with brogues and this Breton top on the model, so I might replicate that; but I'll also be wearing them with plain espadrilles, flip flops, and a slouchy white pocket tee. I think they'd look just fab with a tan leather satchel as well. I guess I prefer my neons with white, grey and navy rather than nude ;) Next post idea!


If you're not keen on wearing huge splashes of colour, the answer is always accessories and nails. I looooove this Proenza Schouler satchel, but it's a wee bit* out of my price range. I'll be looking for something like this Cambridge Satchel Company batchel instead, although that's not cheap either. Go for a gorgeous pop of colour! You won't regret it! **


*three times what I can afford
** unless you spend three times what you can afford

First Image from Bobbi Brown Cosmetics

No comments:

Post a Comment