Thursday 26 July 2012

Monogram Mania

I was given this adorable, I mean very chic little wash bag for my birthday recently, and while it incorporates one of my favourite themes (grays with neon pops) it also got me thinking about monograms. I think we've reached a stage where everyone is fed up of buying mass produced items that are available everywhere; everything's the same, and the Topshop in Cambridge is selling the same clothes (presumably?!) as the Topshop in Edinburgh. Shopping isn't this standardized in India, where we still have a lot of local retailers and a huge emphasis on handmade artisan crafts. I've started to really love monograms lately, and I think that might be because I'm fed up of everything being so samey. I'd like to be able to put my own stamp on something, my name or my initials, or customise it somehow. I don't mean it's impossible to be creative and to put your own twist on things, and I certainly try to do that with my home and clothes, but there's undeniably something classic and sophisticated about a sleek monogram. They feel very timely and of the moment as people are starting to want things to be handcrafted and personal again, and obviously vintage mania is still going strong. It's also far more democratic and cheaper now than it's been for a long time, as vendors on Etsy are happy to make everything from personalised stationery to vases. You don't have to go to Smythson of Bond Street for your letterhead any more!

All in all, it's time for monograms to come back- they can be chic, funny, classy, colourful, or silly, but whatever they are you can make them your own.

1. Burlap Feed Sack Custom Monogram Bird Pillow, Next Door to Heaven on Etsy 2. Linen Hand Embroidered Vintage Handkerchief, Delightful Dressmaker on Etsy 3. Alphabet Initial Coin Purse, Paperchase 4. Gold Vermeil Charm Initial Necklace, Anne Kiel on Etsy 5. Alphabet Votive Candle, Olive Bonas 6. Embossed Notebook, Bookbinders Design 7. Personalised Vases, Maid of Clay on Etsy 8. Nautical Crab Personalised Notepad, Happy Hound on Etsy 9. Ella Adjustable Bangles, Sarah Chloe 10. Alphabet Wash Bag, Oliver Bonas 11. How to Make Monogram Mugs, Dollar Store Crafts


It's safe to say that I'll be ordering some personalised stationery of Etsy very soon as it seems to cost as much as regular nice stationery from a big high street shop, but with the added bonus of being monogrammed! I really like these nautical crab notepads, but am also a fan of most of the monogrammed stationery in Happy Hound's Etsy store. I love Bookbinders Design, and although they don't have a store in the UK that I know of, they will ship here. I'm thinking one of their beautiful
cloth-covered notebooks, perhaps in duo emerald, with my initials on the front in a startling hot pink.  I'll be keeping an eye out for their next online sale!

The jewellery is just amazing as well- I heart these Ella bangles and would love one with my initials on but it's a bit expensive so might put it on my Christmas/Diwali list and cross my fingers. I'll be getting the little 14k gold vermeil initial charm though, and wearing it both by itself and in a cluster of other gold and semiprecious stone pendants. That's just how I roll ; )  I can't decide to go for my own initials, or maybe two pendants with my sisters' initials. These would also make beautiful christening or birthday presents for young girls, simply because they are so classic and timeless. The monogrammed vases, on the other hand, are billed as wedding presents where you get the happy couple's initials cut into them, and I think that's a wonderful idea- you know they're not going to get five of those and they'll definitely remember it!

I found quite a lot of monogrammed mugs, so it must be a thing right now, but one of the nicest designs really was this do it yourself. Some of them are a bit tacky and over the top, but the clean graphics and modern typeface look of these really appealed to me.

I think in general I love monograms when they're classic or very modern, but I always prefer a bold type and a serif font. I'm just in love with my little grey and neon bag. These things also make lovely gifts though- I plan on giving personalised stationery to my friends, and perhaps monogrammed handkerchiefs to those who really love all things vintage.

If you'd like something more colourful, these lucite monogram trays are very cute with their fash-clash motifs and I think great for keeping things organised.


And to keep it fun, I might buy four of those little alphabet votive candles and use them to spell out a rude word on a windowsill. Who says monograms are dull and old-fashioned??

No comments:

Post a Comment